Monday, October 5, 2020

Reclaiming the Future from the Present...

     I just recently came across an article that "gave me an itch that I just had to scratch." You know, those thoughts or phrases that you have come to you that make you want to dig deeper, research more, even go so far as to Google it for any new info that might help you satisfy that curiousity that comes upon you.

    The article spoke about how Methodism over the last one hundred years or so has lost its moorings, and has somehow set sail into waters without wind nor sail, rudder or keel. The article, written by Donald W. Haynes, (found here), is entitled "Methodism: How We Went Wrong" and discusses the history of the movement of Methodism from John Wesley's initial efforts at bringing about a renewal movement in the eighteenth century all the way through to the twenty-first century today. It speaks of the subtle (and not so subtle) changes that took place over the last two hundred years that brought about a different direction from Methodism's founding principles. Starting with Sunday School, and then moving through the changes in focus from conversion to gradualism, the article recounts the sad story of how Methodism lost its way in the world as a shaper of Christian discipleship. 

    I found myself convicted, in that I have been a part in this transformation - through my own complicity in recognizing the downfall of the once "fastest-growing" denominations to one of the fastest-declining ones over the last century. Dr. David F. Watson, Academic Dean and Professor of New Testament at United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio, cites a recent Barna survey that states:

It is no secret that the church in North America and Western Europe has fallen on hard times. According to the Barna group, in the United States over the last twenty years the number of practicing Christians--those who attend church at least once a month and say that faith is very important to them--has declined from about 45% to 25%. The extent to which this trend will continue is unclear. What is clear is that it is unacceptable. As Christians we are commissioned to storm the gates of hell and make disciples of all nations--including our own. The decline of Christianity in the West represents a massive ecclesiastical failure. ("Why Firebrand?" June 1, 2020, www.firebrandmag.com/articles/why-firebrand/)

     If this is the case, I have to ask myself, What am I doing to help stop this trend? How am I helping to contribute to this decline? In what ways have I become a hindrance to those who are honestly seek Truth, and I have failed to offer any hope or direction?

    I will be honest with you, I am not liking my answers. 

    And so I have begun re-reading some of the most important documents in our denomination's heritage, namely the Standard Sermons of John Wesley. (I say "re-reading" because they were required reading in seminary thirty years or so ago, but I was much younger then and seeking grades rather than knowledge!) What I am discovering is a renewed appreciation and passion for Wesley's passion for the power of the Gospel to save souls. 

    Again, I turn to David Watson's words regarding Firebrandmag.com's purpose statement:

"For the Christian, there is one rational end of all our studies: to know, love, and serve the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom he sent. All other goals bow to this one." ("Why Firebrand?")

    If I am called to know, love, and serve the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom he sent, then I need to know what I'm doing now that is NOT directed toward that goal, and begin to make corrections. As always, I know that it is only by the grace of God that I can even begin to recognize these things. And for that, I am eternally grateful. For this is how I know that my salvation is secure - that Christ died for me, rose again and lives and reigns forever as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. I've done nothing to earn or deserve this. It is entirely God's grace. 

    Because of this grace, I want nothing more than "...to know, love, and serve the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom he sent." And that means that I want everyone I know and meet to experience this same joy and peace. 

    I think this may just be the first step for me toward reclaiming the future of God's promises from the present.

    What about you?


    See you in Church!


    Grace and peace,

    Brad

 

No comments:

Post a Comment