Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Deferred Maintenance

 

    Several years ago, I had a conversation with a group of pastors where we were discussing our own personal pet peeves regarding serving in a church. (Lest you begin to think ill of pastors, we tried not to do this often, as we truly do love the ministries and churches where we served. But every once in a while, it is important to "let off some steam" in the company of our peers so as to maintain a sense of true balance in our own souls.) While I shall respect the confidentiality of our group's conversations, I should like to reveal what I shared was a personal pet peeve of my own.

    The biggest pet peeve I've had in some of the churches I have served over the years has been the idea that deferred maintenance was like a cancer in the church. It is often overlooked as not urgent, and/or postponed because of a lack of funds, and when ultimately dealt with the damage is extensive and oftentimes more expensive than it would have cost if it had been dealt with when first noticed.

    Every church that practices this is doing what my grandfather used to do around his barn. He would save up old automobile license plates, and use them to cover the holes in the barn floors, walls, even roof. His mantra was, "Slap a license plate on it, and you can get another year out of it."

    Deferred maintenance: The practice of postponing the upkeep of something until a later date for various reasons.

    After cleaning out my father's garage, I discovered that this practice was not lost on him, either. I found a stack of license plates under the shop table for just this reason. They were "just in case."

    As a pastor, this practice opened up another aspect to me that has a little bit farther reaching ramifications. I wonder how many people partake of this practice with other parts of their lives?

    "I'll call mom and dad this weekend."

    "I can help you with your homework later, dear."

    "We'll go do something special after I finish this project from work."

    "I'll write a note later to let them know I was thinking about them."

    I wonder how many people partake of this practice with their souls?

    "There's plenty of time left."

    "I'll go to church later on when I get my life in order."

    "I'll read my Bible when I'm older. I'll probably understand it better then anyway."

    "I'm too busy with my job, my kids, my hobbies, my ___________. I just don't have time now."

    We can come up with some pretty believable excuses as to why we don't take the time to get to know God right now. And, in our own minds, each reason is plausible. Rational. Believable. 

    Sometimes we'll even attempt to appease the call of God by making a promise to address it at a later date, or by attending Church occasionally. Kinda like slapping a license plate on it, 

    Until...

    Don't wait until it is too late. The cost to you now is nothing compared to an eternity without God.

    Don't defer the maintenance of your soul. Get right with God now.

    See you in church!

    Grace and peace,

    Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment